Harvested about the last 1/3 of our lettuce
On Monday, I harvested about the last 1/3 of our lettuce, arranging shipments primarily via request from family and friends. During harvest week, my diet typically consists of a bowl of Harvest Moon lettuce covered in balsamic and salt. When others get a taste of the unique texture and flavor, as well, they, too, want their own supply. It shocks me how many people, in particular request kale, considering the low street credit it typically receives from the supermarket. I presume it’s the unique look of the Black Magic Kale that catches their attention, or maybe there’s just a weird underground community of kale lovers. Either way, demands are high, and supply is low. Therefore on Thursday, I planted the new exotic seeds we had just ordered the previous Sunday. They consist of half a tray of Red Russian Kale and half a tray of Winter Bor Kale; though I have no idea what either of these looks or tastes like, I’ll find out in sixty days.
Planted a large array of micro-green
I also planted a large array of micro-greens (also in high demand) and another tray of classics in order to slowly turn our production into a continuous process. With our website nearly done and the building officially certified, we’ll be able to start selling to local businesses and markets in the coming months. On top of that, packages containing official harvest moon and “Proudly OPP” stickers have been rolling in by the truck load. Now, when we hand a customer a bag of lettuce, the first thing they’ll notice is the large green moon sticker plastered on the front. Be on the lookout for students carrying the sticker on their belongings, as well. I had extra and had to spread the news somehow.
Cleaned out all of our sad tomato bushes
With our cucumber and tomato seeds officially germinated, I cleaned out all of our sad tomato bushes. Katie came over Tuesday afternoon, and together we worked elbows deep in digging out nearly 80 pounds of roots, branches, leaves, and stalks out of the media beds. It took two extra large trash cans full of tomato plants before the beds were clean. When all was said and done, we (slowly) dragged the cans outside and walked around throwing the debris onto trees, bushes, and flower plants. As much as people have a weird admiration for kale, they have an even odder desire for lavender. When a few of my peers found out that my lavender had bloomed, the plant was instantly in high demand. They were originally planted by my dad, who had the false notion that I knew how to make soap. I not only have no clue how to make soap, but I have no personal use for lavender. Therefore, I was happy to give it away, and even planted twenty more bushes for future purposes. Their germination time is over 100 days, so I have plenty of time to find more prospective customers as well as use for the flowers.
Stringing up my baby tomatoes
Friday was spent with me stringing up my baby tomatoes by installing pulley systems on the ceilings. This consisted of me climbing onto a ladder and then onto the window sills, balancing by hanging onto the pipes on the ceiling and praying that I wouldn’t A.) drop the pulley or B.) lose my balance. Thankfully, everything was safely strung up, and I was free the rest of the time to calculate exact harvest dates and transfer dates. Next week will be spent hosting the long-awaited Reading Field Trip as well as working with Ann Woodward in helping her germinate some of her own plants for future sales through the master gardeners program.